Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Shrimp and Mushrooms in a Garlic Bisque Sauce

Finding something both my husband and I will eat has become a daunting task. To put it mildly, we do not enjoy eating the same things. At all. Honestly, it's why I joined Pinterest in the first place. I hoped to find new recipe ideas more easily and all in one place instead of gallivanting all over the internet. For example, he likes fish and while I will eat fish I don't particularly find joy in it. I love soup but he wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I also love mushrooms while he tends to pick around them. So, I tried to find something that combined different things we like in hopes of finding something we both enjoy. 

Let me just say that I failed. 

Shrimp and Mushrooms in a Garlic Bisque Sauce 



  • 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 3 medium tomatoes
  • 5 cloves of garlic, pressed
  • 1 Lb Mushrooms
  • 1 medium onion, finely diced
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
  • ½ cup sour cream (not low fat)
  • 1 Lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I left the tail on for effect)
  • 1½ cups reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tsp sea salt
Instructions
  1. In a large heavy bottom skillet or a WOK, combine your diced tomatoes and pressed garlic with 3 Tbsp olive oil and simmer uncovered over medium heat until tomatoes are soft and release their juices (10-12 min). Remove your tomatoes and set aside.
  2. In the same skillet over med/high heat, caramelize your diced onions and sliced mushrooms then add the tomato mixture back into the same pan.
  3. Add 1 tsp salt, ½ cup sour cream and 1 Tbsp chili sauce. Stir to combine. Add in 1½ cups chicken broth and stir to combine.
  4. Bring your sauce to a simmer over med/high heat and add in the shrimp. Turn the shrimp a couple times in the sauce while cooking and simmer until shrimp is cooked through. Don't overcook or your shrimp will turn rubbery.
  5. Let the sauce cool down a little bit (it will thicken a little as it cools) then serve over your favorite plain rice, pasta or mashed potatoes


I'll start by saying that I did make a couple of minor changes to this recipe. I used canned, diced, fire roasted tomatoes with garlic instead of chopping them myself to save time and, well, I had them in my pantry. I also despise sour cream with the fiery passion of a thousand suns so I used plain Greek yogurt instead. Any recipe that calls for sour cream gets Greek yogurt instead. 

Other than that, I went on with the recipe as written. I very, very rarely cook shrimp but the fellow behind the shellfish counter at the market recommended some to me that were locally caught and already de-veined. If I were on a cooking show like Chopped and had to de-vein shrimp I would out of the running because I would have barely a clue on how to do it properly. I don't particularly enjoy shrimp so why would I? But, the spouse likes them, so whatever. 

This was a fairly easy recipe, it got right to the point, and was pretty quick start to finish. But it had no pizzazz. It wasn't "oh yum! This is great!" nor was it "man, this is terrible." It was just...eh. My husband picked all the shrimp out and ate them, I let the rice soak up the sauce and ate that and there were a lot of leftovers. Just wasn't anything to get excited about. If I'm just going to eat something because I need to eat then I'll pop some toast in, not spend money on shrimp that I don't like anyway. In a nutshell, won't be making this again. Not worth it. 

(Recipe and photo taken from Natasha's Kitchen)

No comments:

Post a Comment