Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Marinated Flank Steak

I have a terrible time trying to pick something for dinner that my husband and I would both enjoy. We just don't like the same foods. Besides tacos, we both adore tacos. For instance, he could just eat meat every meal and be happy while I am the kind of person that keeps tofu in the fridge. I'm no vegetarian I just don't particularly enjoy biting into the muscles of a dead animal. I usually find myself picturing said animal in my head and then I can't bring myself to eat any more of it. So, when I stumbled across this recipe I was surprised when I found that it sounded good. 

Marinated Flank Steak 





INGREDIENTS

1 tbsp. black peppercorns
1 tbsp. coriander seeds
1 tbsp. fennel seeds
2 dried chiles de àrbol, broken
2 fresh bay leaves
1⁄2 cup red wine
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. worcestershire
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 (2-lb.) flank steak
Kosher salt, to taste
 

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Toast peppercorns, coriander, fennel, chiles de àrbol, and bay leaves in a small skillet over high heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer aromatics to a hard surface; lightly crush with the bottom of a heavy skillet; then transfer to a 9"x13" baking dish.

2. Add wine, vinegar, worcestershire, garlic, rosemary, and olive oil; whisk to combine. Poke flank steak all over with a fork and place in marinade; spoon some marinade over top. Cover and refrigerate, turning occasionally, for 12 to 24 hours.

3. An hour before grilling, transfer steak to a plate; set aside at room temperature. Transfer marinade to a small pot and bring just to a boil; set aside.

4. Build a medium-hot charcoal fire in your grill. Grill steak, turning once and, using a brush, basting with reserved marinade occasionally, until browned and medium rare, 7 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes. Carve steak into thin slices on the bias and serve with any accumulated juices.



This recipe went against everything I usually look for when cooking. It isn't quick, it isn't low or no meat, and it requires the grill which I just have never mastered. Despite that, for the first time ever, I found myself leaning over the beef in the grocery store trying to pick out a flank steak. I've never picked out a flank steak but my father had given me a few tips on what to look for so I chose as best I could. 

I definitely made a few changes to this recipe. For instance, there was no way I was wasting my time toasting peppercorns, regular ones would be just fine.  Also instead of chiles de àrbo I tossed in a pablano. I like their flavor and they are cheap here. I can get behind cheap. Get behind it, root for it, and do a little cheer. 

The most expensive park of this recipe ended up being the red wine. I keep white on hand, not red, so I had to buy a small bottle of it. Besides the meat I already had everything else on hand so this ended up being fairly inexpensive. The marinade went together quickly and easily and smelled fantastic. I left it to marinade around 30 hours, turning occasionally. My real problems occurred on the grill but hopefully you are more proficient than I am at it. We have an infrared grill, which is fantastic, but it means I can't follow the grill time recommendations given on recipes so I have to wing it. None the less, once I reached the correct doneness I was pleasantly surprised. 

The marinade had made the meat tender and flavorful and I ended up eating a couple slices of it. My husband enjoyed it as well and ate the leftovers the next day for lunch. I probably won't be personally making this again any time soon, I've had my fill of cow for a while, but it was still very good. I do recommend it for cost and flavor.  

(Recipe and photo taken from Saveur)

No comments:

Post a Comment