Friday, February 6, 2015

Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

You ever have one of those days when you not only want a glass of wine but feel the urge just to take the entire bottle to the couch and say "to heck with it?" It has been one of those days. Nothing huge happened, unless you count the shower door completely falling off while I was still in it, but just one of those days when something small happened every five minutes and you just want to rip your hair out. But, if you rip your hair out, then you just have one more problem to deal with and, let's face it, you just don't have the time. 

This lead me to browsing my recipe board on Pinterest in search of comfort food. You know what happened? We went to Moe's and now I'm feeling major guilt over that carb intake. But, I did stumble upon a recipe I made not so long ago that I felt the need to tell you about. 


Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole



3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 stalks celery, finely diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 Tablespoons fresh minced garlic
2 Cups shredded, cooked chicken breast
2 Cups steamed white rice
16 oz prepared wild rice (I get mine at Trader Joes, LOVE it)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
______
CHEESE SAUCE
4 Tablespoons butter
1/4 Cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 Cups chicken broth
2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
Top with 1 1/2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Heat oil into a medium dutch oven or pot over medium heat.  Saute onion, celery and carrots until softened, about 10 minutes.  Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Stir in chicken, both rices, salt, pepper and garlic salt.  Reduce heat to low.
2.  To prepare cheese sauce melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium high heat.  Whisk in flour, salt and pepper then slowly pour in chicken broth whisking continuously.  Whisk until thick and nearly boiling then stir in cheese until melted.  Pour cheese sauce into cooked rice mixture then transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with additional cheddar cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through.  Serve.
I initially found this recipe right after I got married and we were on a seriously tight budget. My husband had been assigned to his first duty station so I had left my job, moved to an area of the US I had never been before, and had yet to find work. When it came to food it had to be cheap and make a lot because we were eating off of my last paycheck until I found a new job. 

This recipe sounded perfect. It was easy to make, quick, and included my favorite ingredient. Cheese. I didn't shred the chicken as it states, just gave it a quick fine chop after I'd cooked it. I hate shredding chicken. It is an infuriating task, but, that rant is for another day. So, other than the chicken, I followed the recipe. For the rice I just used the microwave Uncle Bens. Who wants to waste a bunch of time cooking rice that never turns out right, anyway?


What got me? This recipe is so completely and utterly bland. Boring. Dull. Lifeless. Without taste. No bueno. Have I got my point across yet? Good, because I was going to have to resort to Google Translate to come up with anything else. Schlecht, just for good measure. 


My point is, don't waste your time. Unless you pile on some seasoning or add more ingredients to add to the flavor you'll just have yourself a big dud. 



(Photos and recipe taken from Picky Palate)

No comments:

Post a Comment